True Change Ministries

True Change Ministries

Sunday, February 25, 2018

You Must Hate Your Family?

Seventy-one thousand people have packed Mercedes Benz Stadium. They have come from all over the country. Many were willing to donate their life savings just to gain a seat to history. Mark and Luke are talking with him before showtime. "Ok Rabbi, try and keep it simple tonight. Let's stay away from any deep teachings." Thomas was off to the side, "Something is going to happen, I just know it." John strolls to the microphone. Being the great linguist, he begins to speak; "Ladies and Gentleman, straight from the town of Bethlehem, please give a warm welcome, He is your Savior, He is your Redeemer, He is God made flesh, our friend Jesus of Nazareth!

The roar from all in attendance is nothing short of the sound of a roaring storm. Jesus steps to the microphone, and goes right into His teaching. “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple." And just as quick as He came, He was gone. The silence was deafening. No one could speak. Then in a angry rush, people began to storm out of the stadium. "See I told you this wasn't going to go good," said Thomas. The reporters were all crowded in the corner, "No I don't know who He is," said Peter. Yet the reporters pressed harder a second and then third time. "I said I don't know Him, and I definitely didn't drive here with Him," Peter screamed at the reporters.

Does this seem a little far fetched? Well this was the scene 2,000 years ago, minus the stadium of course. Large crowds had been following Christ wherever He went. He stopped and spoke these words to the masses. And just as in our fictional story, many people walked off, including some of the disciples. They were unable to handle these deep teachings from Christ. Obviously Jesus didn't mean we literally were to hate our family. He had just told a man the two greatest commandments were to, "Love God with all your heart, and love your neighbor the same." So what did Christ mean by this?

It all goes back to the earlier conversation. Your love of God had to be so much, that in comparison, the love for others would seem as hate to this world. But in reality if our love is so great for our Heavenly Father, then His love will begin to show thru to everyone. Essentially bringing the love for others, up to the same level. If our love for God and humanity was at this level, than all the other commandments would be void. If you have that type of love for someone, no evil thought can enter. No lying, no murder, no theft, a literal utopia. Or how it will be when He returns, Heaven on Earth.

Life as a disciple of Christ would cost you just that; your life. Only those willing to forsake their life and what they had, would be able to follow Him. Does this mean you must leave everything including family behind just to be a Christian? Of course not. Does it mean that your life will change drastically? Without a doubt! Some may have parts of their life that will not be able to go where He sends them. That will be their time to decide if they can bear that cross. In the end you must know, He will be with you, and He will give you the strength to get through whatever it costs.

Will you carry your cross if it means leaving family or life's luxuries behind? Will you be able to stand in front of great persecution if the path leads you there? Only with Christ can we make it, wherever He may lead.  Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Dear Heavenly Father, You know every decision I need to make, and every challenge I face. Please forgive me for the times I try to figure this life out on my own. I need you. I need your Holy Spirit to give me strength, wisdom, and direction. God I trust you with all my heart. Wherever you want me to go, I will go. Even if it's not where I planned. Lead me and I will follow. In Jesus name, Amen.